Simple SEO tips for better rankings.
When it comes to SEO, bloggers make lots of mistakes because they don’t understand them correctly. SEO is a fast changing field and what worked a few weeks ago may not work today, which is why you need to stay educated and informed on the latest SEO developments.
Here are my simple seo tips for better rankings:
Make good use of social media
Social media is one of the best and most effective platform to promote your blog or new blog post.
Most SEO experts agree that social signals are gaining more ground as a ranking factor and besides the hidden SEO benefits, social media is also a good source of traffic.
Look, you don’t have to be active in all networks, or to spend a lot of time socializing without a purpose. All you need is to find which platform is best suited to your audience and try to build authority and trust by following the leaders in your niche and sharing informative and useful content.
Promote your blog and the content.
Most bloggers spend their time writing good posts but do nothing after that.
Don’t expect that because you’ve written what you think is a good post, people will start sharing it on Facebook or tweeting about it. It is not going to happen in the beginning. Not until you have managed to build a decent audience (which includes hundreds of email subscribers, thousands of Facebook followers and tens of thousands of twitter followers).
Promoting your own work in the beginning is not a mistake at all and it is not something you should be shy about.
Here are some of the ways you can use to promote your blog post:-
- Publish it on social media pages, both personal and business pages.
- Share your content on social media pages.
- Use Facebook Ads to promote your posts to a pre-defined targeted audience (based on the profile of your average visitor)
- Send it to your email list.
- Write a guest post and publish it in an authoritative website and link to your post.
Pro Tip: Here is a List of Quality Blogs that Accept Guest Posts as compiled by izideo
Add your site to Google and Bing Webmasters
Registering your website with Google and Bing Webmasters tools is very important. Failure to do this is like driving a car on a busy road with your eyes closed.
Both Google and Bing created the webmaster tools as a way to help website owners find out more about their properties.
There are many benefits to gain and the process is simple and even a beginner can do it. Here is a blog post about how to add a site to Google search console.
Instead of guessing what might be wrong and you are not getting as much search engine traffic as you should, open your eyes and take advantage of the feedback given to you by search engines.
Stop building incoming links too fast.
I am not a big fan of the term ‘link building’. In fact, I don’t even like to hear it, I like to use the term promotion instead.
Nevertheless, the reality is the same. Whether you call it link building, off-page SEO or promotion, it is one of the most important processes if you want to achieve high rankings, especially in Google.
When building links, don’t make the following SEO mistakes:
- Don’t build too many links too fast. The whole process needs to be natural and it is not natural for a 3 month website to have tens of links pointing to it. Go slow and steady.
- Don’t use keyword anchor text links. In the near past keyword anchor text links were very important for rankings, but now if you have many of those you can get a penalty instead.
- Don’t direct all your links to your home page. Diversification is a better practice.
- Don’t buy or exchange links with other bloggers and don’t participate in any link scheme (either free or paid).
Make use of Google keywords
The Google keyword tool will gives you an indication of what queries people type in the Google Search Box and by including those keywords in your articles or pages, you make the content more relevant to them and easier to understand for the search engines.
Don’t use high traffic keywords because they are very hard to target due to high competition. Target low competition, long tail keywords that are easier to get good rankings, in a reasonable amount of time.
Improve your website’s loading speed
A faster website will bring more traffic (due to higher rankings), will generate more sales and more page views.
If you are running ads on your web site (like Adsense) a faster web site will also generate more ad clicks and ad revenue.
There are two ways through which you can be able to increase your page speed.
The first one is outsourcing this task to a professional team and letting them find their way through the bits and bytes and the other way is doing it yourself.
For the first option you can hire a developer through odesk.com or peopleperhour.com.
For the DIY solution, you can start by analysing your web site through the Google PageSpeed Insights service and follow their guidelines.
Use unique title tags and descriptions
Provide unique titles for each page.
This is probably the biggest SEO mistake and despite the emphasis given by both Google and Bing, still some websites do not provide unique titles. Having all pages under the same title including the website name in the page title is not okay.
Descriptions should be unique (between 150-160 characters), non-keyword stuffed and attractive to the user.
A good description can increase your click through rate (CTR) and if your content delivers what promised in the description, it is more likely to have high conversions as well.
Design a consistent publishing plan
It doesn’t matter if you publish new content daily, every other day or once a week; what is more important is having a consistent publishing schedule.
Decide in advance how many times you plan to publish new content (and when) and stick to that plan, no matter what.
What I do to make sure that I don’t miss out my plan is prepare a few blog posts in advance so that I have one week to 10 days to find some time and craft new content. Consistency does have an SEO value and it does bring in more traffic.
Create high quality content
Latest trends in SEO are about authority and trust. Your goal is to build trust between your website and users and authority between your website and search engines. And one of the ways (it’s not the only way) to build authority is by constantly publishing high quality content.
Instead of trying to have as many pages published, try to build authority and trust through your content. The benefits are a lot and go beyond achieving high rankings.
What is authoritative content? Content that has the following characteristics:
- Informative and useful to the user
Inter-link your pages.
Inter-linking your pages together is necessary for 3 reasons:
- You help search engines discover more pages from your website.
- A link to an internal page is a signal to search engines that this page is important for your site.
- You actually help users find out more about a subject they are interested in.
Look, it’s not a waste of time to make internal links because they are good for SEO.
Best practices for internal linking:
- Link relevant pages together both within text and by providing a ‘related pages’ section at the end of each page.
- Don’t always use keywords in the anchor text but use text that flows naturally in your content.
- Don’t always link new pages with older pages but go back and link old pages with new pages. I know this is hard but you have to add this task in your schedule.
- Make sure that the pages you want to rank higher in the SERPS have the most internal links. You can view the relevant report in Google webmaster tools by selecting Traffic and then Internal Links.
- Aim to have 2-10 internal links per page (depending on the length and type of content).
Seek advice from SEO sources on the Web.
Too bad not everyone knows as much as they claim they do online. Choose your sources well.
Here are some of popular posts on this blog on SEO:
- Web Analytics: The Basics of Web Analytics
- SEO: How To Write A Slug Without Stop Words
Look after your blog.
Build a blog that is easy for the search engines to understand. Your website should make use of up-to-date technologies like CSS to minimize the amount of formatting in the HTML page code. Avoid inline CSS.
Make navigation easy.
You can do this by building clear text links to all parts of your site. Search Engines can’t follow image links or clever animated links like flash; they like their navigation plain and simple- and so do many users.
For sure the above list is not 100% complete. There are very many more simple seo tips for better rankings. Nevertheless, the above are the most important ones.
In addition, it is almost certain that when these tips followed correctly, the benefits to your website will be immediate.
Well, that’s it. Did you find this article helpful? Leave your comments below and do share with others.